Thursday, November 10, 2011

093 Assessment: Presentation Reflection

We had a guest crit during our morning shift presentation, Don Albert, a visiting academic from South Africa.

At the end of my presentation, Don brought up the subject of "bio-mimicry" in relation to my conceptual design process, as I had early in the presentation talked about the leaves of a branch and petals of a flower to be the inspiration as to how I moved forward in my design development. "Bio-mimicry" was never something that came up during the last 7 to 8 weeks of my design process and I felt that it was an interesting perspective to look at my design.

I think if I could do things a little bit differently, I could look deeper into the anatomy of leaves and flowers so that I can incorporate it into my design. There are details within these flora, that Don mentioned, could be inspired into the integration of perhaps, my spatial planning design. Seriously, it's an exciting perspective actually.

Overall, I think I achieved my basic goal of having a presence that incorporates Australia's rich biodiversity - well, in terms of fresh produce food production - into my design. In retrospect, I felt that I could have added more fervour into the detailing of spaces - although I felt that it was unnecessary for this design presentation. I wanted to really bring out the possibility of using Australia's existing public transportation network because I felt that most of the time, these networks are under-utilised as the surrounding developments give no reason for the general public to use. I think this is something Australia's planning system, or a parliamentary function can and should look into further if they want to mobilise the citizens even more through a public network system. And with Australia's urgent attention to food, I think mobilising and utilising the existing rail network for example, is definitely a window of opportunity for these agricultural communities living and working on the farmlands on the urban fringes, and rural areas.

~ Hana

No comments: