Wednesday, November 02, 2011

078 Development: Mobilising my Thoughts

The last tutorial of my architectural bachelor was bittersweet. I found myself realising that my best works tend to be from the design studios which are not strictly themed nor set-in-stone sort of brief, and it's always been Yasu's studios. Not saying the other design studios are not up to par. Just a personal preference and realisation after looking through my past 5 semester of design studios.

Why do I say this?

I am 70% on completion of my design panels and the design itself, and I suddenly found myself in an awkward position of not being able to connect with it emotionally. Perhaps I should have Jane and Yasu know that I'm in the middle of packing my life in Brisbane away (literally) while trying to finish up the semester - I will be flying out of Brisbane 4 days after the presentation on 12 November 2011. So I'm not sure if my awkward sense of feelings towards my design is because I'm nervous about leaving Brisbane, or actually presenting my final work.

Then I found this video Claire put up on her blog, which was actually the quote that Yasu had flashed in our first and last lecture of the semester. It will be one of my take-away from this design unit, as well as one that will inspire me to finish up the last few days with a little bit more rigour and, by the time I am ready to present next Tuesday, (hopefully) I will feel more "connected" to my design. Don't get me wrong. I still have the passion and the commitment, and I do think my work is kinda-awesome (not amazing, but not a failure either. ok maybe moderate is the word) but I'm pretty sure there's some "magic" missing from my design that's conjuring this feeling of "disconnectedness". But I'll figure it out.


Ira Glass on Storytelling from David Shiyang Liu on Vimeo.

~ H

No comments: