Thursday, September 15, 2011

042 Exemplar: ACCA in Melbourne, Australia


The Australian Centre for Contemporary Art in Melbourne (ACCA), Australia, I feel embodies elements of a structure that;

1. houses a special set of "creativity" (= art) representing the culture of Australia, and
2. reflects the rustic nature of Australia's environment.

It is not exactly a piece of architecture that comes under the banner of "mobile architecture" but it being a centre of ever-changing pieces of art, it can be interpreted that the uses and users within are the "mobile" elements of this architectural design. I think even the siting of the building is apt - conveying a desert-looking persona.

Materiality is definitely a significant aspect of my mobile entity. 
CORTEN STEEL, CLAY, BLACK STONES, BLUE SKIES, BURNT GRASS, GREEN GRASS, BARREN & FERTILE SOIL, are just some materials and colours that instantly pops up.

If I could just "borrow" the analogy ingrained into ACCA, I would recreate pieces of elements to say,
"The Ministers' Step: This place celebrates the remarkable contribution
made by ministers to Australia's contemporary culture."

~ H

ps: Images are my own, and I have been inside & around this building to get a feel of it.

No comments: